Required Elements in DSU Syllabi
The purpose of this requirement is to acquaint students with the policies, resources, and services that will help them succeed.
The following elements are required in all DSU syllabi.
- Name of course, course number, CRN, meeting days and time of class
- Semester and year
- Course description from catalog
- Instructor’s DSU email address, office location, office phone number
- Instructor’s office hours (should be 4 or 5 hours weekly for full-time faculty — by appointment or TBA is not acceptable)
- Course pre-requisites and/or co-requisites, including minimum grade / score (if applicable)
- Lab or other course fees (if applicable)
- General education status (if applicable)
- Required textbook(s) and materials; recommended books / materials
- Projected schedules of class activities, assignments, due dates, exams, etc.
- Explanation of grade determination
- Course objectives & outcomes
- Semester calendar to include at least the following dates / deadlines, either in a course schedule or
as “important dates to remember” (Note: These dates can be found at http://events.dixie.edu/mastercalendar/MasterCalendar.aspx):
- Date classes begin
- Last day to add without instructor permission
- Pell Grant census date
- All holidays / breaks when classes are not held
- Last day for refund of tuition and fees
- Late registration / payment fee – Purge date (students who have not paid tuition / fees IN FULL or made payment arrangements may be dropped from classes!)
- Last day to add or audit classes with instructor permission
- Midterm grades posted
- Last day to drop an individual class
- Last day for complete withdrawal from all classes
- Last day of classes
- Final Exam dates
- Final grades posted
- Commencement (as applicable)
- Date & time of Final Exam for specific class
- Important links:
- Disability/Accessibility Resources:
If you are a student with a medical, psychological, or learning disability or think you might have a disability and would like accommodations, contact the Disability Resource Center at 435-652-7516) for further information. The Disability Resource Center will determine eligibility of the student requesting accommodations and recommend appropriate and reasonable accommodations related to the disability.
- Title IX Statement:
DSU seeks to provide an environment that is free of bias, discrimination, and harassment. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment/misconduct/assault we encourage you to report this to the college’s Title IX Director, Cindy Cole, (435) 652-7731, email@example.com. If you report to a faculty member, she or he must notify the Title IX Director about the basic facts of the incident.
- Student Academic Conduct Policy
*Academic dishonesty / Academic integrity policy
You are required to frequently check your Dmail account. Important class and university information will be sent to your Dmail account, including DSU bills, financial aid/scholarship notices, notices of cancelled classes, reminders of important dates and deadlines, and other information critical to your success at DSU and in your courses. To access your Dmail account, visit go.dixie.edu/dmail. Your Dmail username is your DixieID (e.g. D00111111) If you have forgotten your PIN, visit go.dixie.edu/mydixie and click the Forgot Pin button.
- Instructor policy on late assignments, missed exams/quizzes, and unexcused absences
- Reference to “Policy for Absences Related to College Functions”
- Disruptive behavior policy / classroom expectations